- Coloring Pages
Church Of St. Francis Of Assisi Coloring Pages
The church is built of laterite blocks and is lime-plastered. A wooden statue of St. Francis of Assisi adorns a pedestal bearing the insignia of the Franciscans. The church was first built in 1510 and rebuilt from 1521. The present church was built on the same spot in 1661 retaining only the entrance of the earlier church.
The exterior of the Church is of the Tuscan Order while the main entrance is in Manuline style. In a niche on the facade, stands a statue of our lady of miracles brought from Jaffna in Sri Lanka. A wooden pulpit, richly carved with floral designs is to the left, as one enters.
The tabernacle was used for displaying the holy sacrament. Above the tabernacle, in the main altar, is a large statue of St. Francis of Assisi and an equally large statue of Jesus on the cross. Beneath the two figures are inscribed the three vows of the Saint—poverty, humility and obedience. On either side of the main altar, in the nave, are beautiful large paintings on wood, depicting scenes from the life of St. Francis of Assisi. It has the most beautiful interior of all churches in Old Goa, wonderfully enriched with gold, especially at the east end. The painted ceiling remains, as do the 17th century wall paintings in the church.
The main altar dedicated to St. Francis is heavily ornated, the style is Baroque with Corinthian touch. Also on the altar is an equally large statue of Christ on the cross, underneath are mentioned the three vows of the saint—poverty, humility and obedience. On both sides of the nave are beautiful paintings made on wood illustrating instances of his birth, his first anointment, taking oath and joining the Dominican and other such important instances marking the life of St. Francis. Beneath the main altar is a tabernacle supported by four evangelists. This tabernacle was earlier used for exhibiting the holy sacrament.